Skip to content

Cross River Govt Sympathises with SPAR, Others Over Calabar Mall Fire

The Cross River State Government has expressed deep sadness over the fire outbreak that gutted a section of the multi-billion-naira Calabar Mall on Saturday morning, August 22, 2026, assuring affected businesses and individuals of immediate government support.

In a statement issued by the Commissioner for Information and Orientation, Pastor Ekpenyong Ene Cobham, the government, on behalf of Governor Bassey Edet Otu and the people of the state, commiserated with the management of Artee Group, operators of SPAR Mall Nigeria, as well as other business owners and support service providers affected by the incident.

The fire, which occurred at about 6am, sent thick smoke across parts of Calabar and caused extensive damage to shops, goods and other property reportedly worth billions of naira.

Several businesses within the complex, including a pharmacy, electronics store, clothing store, perfumery and phone shop, were affected by the inferno.

Cobham said the government shared in the pain of businesses and individuals who lost valuable investments and sources of livelihood, particularly at a time when businesses were already striving to recover from prevailing economic challenges.

“On behalf of His Excellency, Governor Bassey Edet Otu, and the good people of Cross River State, we commiserate with the management of Artee Group, operators of SPAR Mall Nigeria, as well as all other direct business owners and support service providers who have suffered grievous losses in this unfortunate incident,” he said.

According to the Commissioner, the fire was preceded by a minor electrical fault within the complex, although the exact cause of the outbreak and the full extent of the damage remained subject to further assessment.

He said the State Government had directed relevant emergency and safety authorities to conduct a thorough investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident and provide immediate support to affected businesses and individuals.

Cobham further assured the public that the government would work closely with the mall management to prevent a recurrence and ensure that safety standards were strictly enforced across public facilities in the state.

“We have accordingly directed the relevant emergency and safety authorities to conduct a thorough investigation into the circumstances surrounding the fire, and to provide immediate support to affected businesses and individuals,” Cobham stated.

The Commissioner urged residents to remain calm and avoid the scene of the incident to allow emergency responders to carry out their operations effectively.

He also cautioned against looting and vandalism, noting that security agencies had been deployed to protect lives and property.

Cobham commended personnel of the Cross River State Fire Service, firefighters from the University of Calabar and the Federal Fire Service, as well as other first responders, for their efforts in containing the blaze.

He expressed the government’s solidarity with all those affected and prayed for the speedy recovery of the businesses and individuals impacted by the unfortunate incident.

By Kingsley Agim 

Comments

Latest