Governor Bassey Edet Otu of Cross River State has pledged government support to businesses and individuals affected by the fire that ravaged a section of the SPAR shopping complex in Calabar, assuring victims of assistance to facilitate their swift recovery and return to normal operations.
The Governor gave the assurance through his Deputy, Rt. Hon. Dr. Peter Odey, who represented him during an on-the-spot inspection of the scene on Saturday to assess the situation and convey the Governor’s sympathy and solidarity to those affected.
Speaking to journalists at the scene, he said the present administration was deeply concerned about the incident and the losses suffered by businesses within the complex. He said he had also interacted with the manager of the facility to obtain a first-hand account of the situation.
Odey said the cause of the fire had yet to be established, although preliminary indications suggested that it might have resulted from an electrical fault.
He assured the affected businesses that the Otu administration would not abandon them in their moment of difficulty, noting that the Director-General of the Cross River State Emergency Management Agency (CR-SEMA) had already commenced the assessment and documentation of the damage.
“Government will not abandon you at this trying moment. The Director-General of SEMA is already taking steps to assess the extent of the damage and provide immediate relief to those affected,” Odey said on behalf of the Governor.
He expressed the present administration’s commitment to providing the necessary support to enable the affected businesses recover and resume operations in the shortest possible time, while measures would also be taken to prevent a recurrence of the incident.
The Governor commended the Cross River State Fire Service for its prompt response, noting that the service had been adequately equipped to handle emergencies of such magnitude. He also appreciated the Federal Fire Service for joining the response effort and helping to contain the blaze.
Governor Otu equally commended the firefighters who risked their lives to bring the inferno under control, as well as the police and other security agencies for securing the facility and preventing looting and vandalism.
The Governor assured residents that his administration would continue to respond promptly to emergencies, disclosing that measures were already being taken to address other immediate risks in the state.
He said water was being redirected from Channel 1, adding that the intervention would protect houses along the affected line from the risk of collapse.
Otu expressed concern over the series of disasters recently recorded in Calabar, including fire outbreaks and landslides, stressing that his administration was working with relevant federal agencies to strengthen emergency response and support affected communities.
He specifically cited collaboration with the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), South-South Development Commission (SSDC) and the National Ecological Fund in responding to recent emergencies and providing support to affected persons.
The Governor reiterated his administration’s commitment to protecting lives and property, supporting businesses affected by disasters and strengthening emergency preparedness and response mechanisms across Cross River State.


By Ukongikwen Adie